Altered Winter Book

Have you ever made an altered book before?

I’ve definitely altered books, but never made an actual altered book (keeping the book intact and ripping out the pages to create a journal). I had always admired them from a very far distance, but never tried. I found it quite intimidating. Do you leave the page edges ripped or do you cover them somehow? How does the spine hold up? What do you do with all of those pages of text? How do you really use it? Do you write over the pages or add other paper to it?

For the past few weeks, the sky has gifted us with never-ending blankets of softly falling snow and I had been perusing my winter paper collections and thinking about how exactly I wanted to capture it. In particular, I was looking at a few Authentique paper collections featuring varying shades of blues and greens. At the same time, I happened upon an old book that had very similar colors. And if that wasn’t enough, I had just watched 49dragonflies altered book tutorial series on YouTube. It was serendipity.

For my altered book, I decided to follow the 49drafonflies method exactly by tearing out seven pages at a time. Then I glued each “end” paper together to hide the rough edge of each torn page. I repeated this process from the beginning to the end — maybe a total of 10 times or so, but of course, this would depend on the length of your book. But what a quick process: It only took about 15 minutes.

When I was finished with the inside, I wanted to decorate the cover with an image I found in the Authentique Solitude 12 x 12 paper collection of two little girls on a sled. My girls are much older, but it reminded me so much them.

I started by backing the image with coffee-dyed printer paper and some green plaid paper I had in my stash. Next, I used my sewing machine to messily stitch around the perimeter.

Earlier in the day, I was practicing ruffling with some scrap muslin and a stray piece happened to be on the table right next to me. I decided to use it as a base on my book cover and glue my picture on top of it. I added a green bow from my stash to complete it.

But like any normal papercrafter, I couldn’t stop there. I decided to glue some cream rick-rack around the border. Through this process, I also learned to be more cognizant of where I start trims in order to hide the seam when I’m done wrapping. I should have started the edge of my rick-rack under the bow to hide the seam, instead of the righthand bottom corner. There are always lessons to learn.

I am really in love. ❤

I also made a YouTube video documenting my process, if interested:

Till next time,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s